Sunday, March 22, 2009

Welfare Air

OK, I’ll admit it, I’m not really a fan of Southwest Airlines. Their fine enough, but too inflexible to really suit my needs. On a recent trip to Florida, I discovered their “no hidden fees” mantra was really B.S. You see, at Southwest, if you need to bump flights or do standby, you have to pay massive fees (in my case, over $200) just to have the opportunity to fly standby (no guarantee you’ll actually get on that flight). I call that a hidden fee. I’ve never found another airline anywhere in the world that makes you do that. But Southwest does.

And I'm not even going to tackle the class of people that fly Southwest. Flying back from Orlando, I was on a flight with fat, smelly Wal-Mart families. I think it's great that there's a bottom-of-the-barrel airline to serve them, I just don't want to be a part of that train wreck.

So, when in Dallas, I spied this sign near Love Field. I’m going to take a cheap shot at welfare air (a.k.a., Southwest) over this one. Most airlines advertise their non-stop flights. No Southwaste. They advertise their one-stop flights. Boy, talk about convenience. They charge such low fares because they are so inconvenient to fly.

No comments: